Sung Cho - Contracting
I am available for hire as a contractor. Here are some of the things I can achieve for your company:
- Solve complex problems in production. At Dnote, a big design challenge was to sync users’ notes across many machines each running offline-first clients. I wrote a scalable state-based replication algorithm to reliably sync note states across distributed machines.
- Optimize your frontend performance. At Luxury Escapes, the checkout page built with React was slow to render and respond. I sped up the page render by 40% and responsiveness by 35% by carefully benchmarking the app and writing a state machine. You can learn more in this case study.
- Rewrite legacy code. I have replatformed a number of enormous legacy applications running PHP or .NET into node.js microservices and React frontend. You can read more in this article.
- Rapidly and reliably build new features and products. Let’s make. I shipped commercial applications such as Dnote and RemoteBase, used by thousands of people.
- Evangelize products among technical communities. At Dgraph, I built applications using the product, gave talks and wrote articles, spreading the technology and help growing the fledgling community.
- More things. Software is my passion and I strive to achieve a higher mastery and deliver greater impact. I can bring the same attitude to your company.
I am open to both short term and long term contracts.
Rearchitected the purchase flow in a brittle internal React web application into a scalable and extendable solution handling >AU$100 million of purchases yearly.
Using node.js microservices and React, extended a hotel-only travel business platform into an integrated flights & hotel bundling buisness. Optimized a checkout process of a React application by 40%, handling >AU$300 million purchases yearly.
Sung redefined what we believed we could achieve through a combination of both extremely high quality code & fast delivery.
Timothy Downs, Head of Engineering @ Luxury Escapes
Designed, and built a GUI for a distributed graph database using React and Go. Shipped an open source clone of StackOverflow using Dgraph, React and node.js.
Designed, built, and maintained the official docs website and an interactive tutorial.
Built Ranges, a feature that replaces spreadsheet for designers and fashion labels.
Designed and built a free and open source, commercial note-taking application supporting clients in web, command line, browser extensions, and an IDE plugin.